Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Progress

As I blogged this morning, my goal was to do a short stair climb after work today, as cross-training. Well, the day started off well. After my run I made a "Red Monster"for breakfast.

So a red monster has 3 tomatoes, 2 carrots, a stick of celery, a handful of spinach, a third of a raw beetroot and a chunk of fresh ginger.  Frullee' and you have a glass of joy.  I think I got the proportions a bit muddled in my enthusiasm this morning, and I ended up with a very thick concoction that I had to eat with a spoon!

Still, it was very good, and I will try changing the portion sizes next time.  Given my terrrible food day yesterday, I was organized, and made my lunch.  A big salad, and a protein sandwich with cheese.  So, since moving to the US, I  discovered a most wonderous thing - Ezekiel 4:9.  In fact, I call it holy bread, even though it's not really bread.

So this is flourless bread, and because it is made from spelt, barley, millet, lentils etc., it is pure protein.  I toasted 2 slices with a slice of cheese and had that with my salad.  It was the perfect lunch.  In fact I also had some for dinner with soup.  You will find it in the freezer at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.
The stair climb was not exceptional.  I only did 60 flights of stairs in 20 minutes (walking, not running), and I did some strength training for another 20 or so minutes.  Then I tackled that which I most resist: abdominals.  Nothing fancy, just a few planks and bicycles which I don't dislike.  Tomorrow is a 3 mile run before work - I think I will go back to my usual green monster for breakfast though!

4 comments:

  1. Your Red Monster looks delicious!

    I can't seem to make myself like the Ezekiel bread. I keep trying but no luck so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do stairs from time to time as well. I love it and think it helps a lot for the climbs on trail races.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working out twice in a day: impressive! You rock girl! I don't mind doing the abdominal it's the weight training that I don't like and I do need it so much. Oh well ... have to get over that I think and just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ The Green Girl: it is rather heavy, but love the taste....have you tried their bagels?

    @ Johann: there are some good vertical races here....one is coming up shortly at the Yale stadium.....3700 stairs....I think you would like that one!

    @ Fran: Thanks Fran, but it was out of necessity! I had to combine a run day with a cross training day. This week I will try and stick to the programme as it is.

    ReplyDelete