Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Super Sunday 5K/10K, Feb. 1, 2009




The Marathon Sports Super Sunday 5K/10K race took place on Sunday 1st February. I had signed up for the 10K (my first timed 10K ever), and the route would provide runners with a spectacular tour of Boston's growing Seaport district with amazing waterfront views of the city and harbor.
The event started and finished at Legal Sea Foods' corporate headquarters, passed by the Harpoon Brewery, the Bank of America Pavillion and the Seaport World Trade Center. We continued through Fan Pier, passing the new ICA (Institute of Contemporary Art) before turning at the Moakley Federal Courthouse. Then came a few yards along the Harborwalk with its stunning panoramic views of downtown Boston.
The day was chilly with grey skies, but thankfully with no harsh winds or snow. I thought of wearing a balaclava, (I still have mine from a snowmobiling trip in the Arctic), but thought I would brave it without. As it turned out, there were 2 others in balaclavas, but it was bearably cold.
I met Carrie at my stop and we went down to South Station together and got the complimentary bus to the harbour. That too was a blessing, because although I was wearing my new (midzero) Sugoi tights, my legs were starting to feel a bit nippy. I was glad that I did not have any bags to check in as the queue was so long. In fact Carrie and I had lined up already but Kathy was still in the bag queue! I guess the idea must have been that since the race is chip timed, it does not really matter when you start. Still, I do not think I would be a particularly happy bunny if I were in a queue waiting to drop off my bag, and had to watch everyone surge off without me!
Well, I did the warm up prior to the race and then mooched off to the start. It seemed like we were standing there for a while, when finally people started moving. And then we were off, I started off cautiously and stopped for a drink at the 3 mile mark. At mile 4.5 I saw the clock at 40 minutes and knew I had to pick up the pace a bit. After that, I have no idea of clocks or times, until I saw the sign marking 6 miles. The final 200 yards seemed to go on forever, but high-fiving a little girl wearing pink gloves along the way, made me forget the discomfort, as well as to sprint! Furthermore, I was smiling so much thinking about that high five, that I forgot to look at the time board when I crossed the finish line.
That meant that I had no idea how I had done, and had to wait until Monday when the results were posted to discover that I had finished in 57:33. My split was 28:48, which meant that my average speed was 9:16. I placed 21/33 in my age group, and placed 476 out of a field of 731. Although I was pleased with the result, I am going to try and polish off a few seconds in the Hyannis 10K which comes up on 22nd.
It was a lovely day, I had my first taste of New England Clam Chowder, but skipped the beer as they asked me for ID!!!!! The best part? We raised more than $10,000 for Live strong and the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment