Friday, February 6, 2009

So this is it

Tomorrow is the Race Up Boston Place stair climbing event, and I have mixed feelings about it. Usually I am quite positive about these things, but I have not run up any stairs in the past 3 or 4 weeks. My excuse has been the snow and that it is freezing in the stairwell of our building. My other excuse has been that I am knackered when I get home from work - yet I am never that knackered so as not to run.
Truth be told, I felt I was burning out a bit with all the running up stairs. I enjoyed it, but because I felt pressed for time, I did not follow a programme. I think the final blow came when I added on 5 minutes to my time rather than decreasing it! So, I do not know what tomorrow holds. This is one time I really am going in 'blind'.
I think my quads are in decent shape, and my arms are quite strong to use the railings for support. Furthermore, I had signed up to run the 82 flights of stairs, the alternatives being racing competitively or walking. I could not bring myself to change it, as I feel I have to give it a go and see what happens.
As things stand, I can run up 20 flights taking 2 steps at a time, before I need to stop. This I can do wearing a 1lb weight on each leg. Still, the thing to remember is that I got slower not faster and I seemed to need longer recovery periods. Well I will definitely know whether I did just enough or not even near enough tomorrow.
This past week has seen a horrid cold going around the office. Stuart had one all week too, and now I have it. I went to bed with a tickle, and woke up with a very dry and very scratchy throat. If it stays as is, I should be fine tomorrow. But hey, even if it does get worse, nothing will change for me anyway.
I start at 10h50 but have to be there an hour before the time. Since there is no place to store any stuff, the event organisers told us to come dressed for running as the event would get very hot! I was going to wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, but there is no way I can go out just like that on the tube. It is freezing! Today was -3C with the wind chill making it -9C. Tomorrow promises no better. So Stuart will drop me off and pick me up later.
I told him not to come as he would have to stand outside in the cold. Also, tomorrow is the start of the Six Nations Rugby Series, and at least he'll get to see some of it!
Do I wish I'd done more - yes of course, but that's not going to stop me from enjoying myself - however it goes. I think it's going to be a blast - it certainly looks like these people had a lot of fun last year when they were Winding up the Wachovia.

No comments:

Post a Comment