Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

This was a training run before the 50K.  I can't say it was the best of times, as I really wanted to do the Bizz Johnson marathon the week before.  However, due to lack of organisation, I couldn't find accommodation, and it was just all too rushed.  So I ended up doing the Redwoods marathon up in Humboldt Park.

It was raining cats and dogs, driving up, and I was not looking forward to this.  I had done two 20 milers, and several other longer runs, but I was feeling a bit anxious- even though it was a training run. I think it was the rain, and wind, and general cold! Yes, I was feeling wimpy. I hate being cold.  It is the one thing I can't really deal with - though I might have to learn to deal with that if I want to run in Antarctica! Anyway, I was just not in the mood for this race.

The morning of the race was cold and rainy. And I kept wondering if I should change down to the half! Back and forth, back and forth.  Anyway, I decided to suck it up, and go for what I had signed up for. Because of the bad weather, a lot of people had changed down to the half - which meant a very small field for the marathon.  Which I don't normally mind, but the weather was relentless and also, I didn't really feel like it. But I also learned how to run and see something through when it's tough and I'm off my mental game.

So off we went.  It was so beautiful out there, and I just ran. Well, it wasn't the best mental approach, but I kept my head screwed on, finished the race, and ticked off 26.2 miles.


1 comment:

  1. Complimenti per le tue "ultra-corse". Ti stai allenando, stai gareggiando?

    ReplyDelete