Friday, July 1, 2016

Running in the morning

I am not generally a morning person, though I have run regularly in the morning in the past. It seemed a lot easier then.  But it's been a long time since I have been for a daily morning run before work. What changed was that I realised if I wanted to get back into a regular running pattern, I needed to go in the morning as I usually prefer cross training in the evening.

It was a bit rough in the beginning.  I had to get used to getting up early again.  I didn't make the decision and then spring into action the next day.  It took me a few weeks of waking up early.  Once that became easier, I could get up and get out the door. I used to put out my clothes the night before, get dressed, have an espresso and then out the door. It's been interesting! I see a lot of the same people, doggies and runners.  It's busy out there!

This week has been particularly hot, so going out first thing, has been a blessing. OK, we did have one overcast day, but that cleared very quickly, and it was back to baking hot temperatures. I even managed to get a few cross training sessions in.  And then one evening I had crossfit - with a lot of running.  Although it was 6pm, it was still 32*C or rather 89*F. In between all the burpees and other nightmare stuff, there were 4x400m! It was excruciating, and I was ever so slow, but got the job done. I also feel that slowly my fitness is starting to improve.  Now all I need to do is be consistent.  Today is a cross training day, so one possibility is to run to the gym and do some weights. Tomorrow is a long though, and I don't want lead legs......so let's see what I can invent today.