Thursday, November 26, 2009

Garmin or Polar?

Today I managed to get it all together and leave about 45 minutes later than I had hoped. It was early and rather grey, but as always there were loads of people out running. Not as many early morning, but still quite a number of people. I also decided to run a different route, which was a bit hillier, since most of the running routes around the Charles River are flat-ish. Granted, the little protuberances this morning cannot make any claims to being proper hills, but they offered the opportunity to change pace. After the run I did a few fartleks, and then went home.
I am enjoying this experiment and am definitely going to try and run in the mornings. I think the time has also come to get a Garmin (or Polar). I could never quite decide between the 2. Although I like Garmin, I was also quite annoyed at the Tour de France incident this past summer, which saw George Hincapie deprived of the yellow jersey. In fact I wrote to Garmin expressing my views on this, and received what I thought was quite a patronising reply:

"Dear Natalia,

Thank you for your recent email regarding the Garmin-Slipstream team that is currently competing in the Tour de France. While we appreciate your perspective on the events that unfolded during Saturday’s 14th stage, it was never the team’s intention to keep George Hincapie out of the yellow jersey. Our riders rotated to the front, only in the final kilometers, and only to protect our two team leaders. We hope over time you can look back on the accomplishments of the Garmin-Slipstream team and be reminded of the excitement that they have brought to the cycling world. In closing, below is a link to an article in Bicycling Magazine that was written by Chris Carmichael, Lance Armstrong’s long-time coach, called “The Breaks of a Breakaway” that you may find interesting:

http://bicycling.com/tourdefrance/article/0,6610,s1-7-403-20125-1,00.html

Garmin International"

I think after years of following the Tour, I know what constitutes a breakaway, but that was not the point I was enquiring about. Anyway, after that I began thinking about Polar, as they seem a bit more aesthetic than the Garmins. Still this has led to no decision being made, and I think this my training might be getting to the point where mapping more precise distances, times and paces might be helpful. So if anyone has any advice on this, I would love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment